Good morning folks!

If you followed along with the Breakfast Nook build then you probably saw a table nestled in the foreground. As mentioned in the previous build, not only did we need a place to sit but also a place to put our food.

We decided on a design that would match our country like nook so I went searching online for various styles, plans and tutorials. I found an extensive video on building a farmhouse table by Patrick Hosey. His simple design and joinery made it seem right up my alley. So it was off to the home center to fill up on lumber.


I was initially worried about get the legs correct but luckily I found a set of 4 from the home center. I liked the beading from Patrick’s table and it was the first time using my router table. I set the beading bit to just barely kiss the edge of the board. One thing you may have noticed from the video was the use of the beadlock system to cut out the mortise to fit the loose tenon. Unfortunately I did not and still do not own that system. I haven’t heard great reviews from it but I have no experience from which to base. I had seen many other makers use pocket screws to attach the aprons to the legs but I thought I might try my hand at a more technical joinery.

Mortise and tenon! With the hollow chisel mortiser I cut out a 3/8in mortise. Turns out the mortiser is a pain to set up but once done it cuts the mortises fast and effectively. To cut to tenons I used a tenoning for the table saw which turned out to be precarious when I needed to cut the cheeks on the longer aprons. The fits weren’t perfect; this was the project that got me to realize the importance of have straight non-twisted or cupped boards.

The frame needed some supports at the corners and one cross beam. I decided to attach the table top using pocket screws. In our climate I wasn’t worried about wood movement and honestly wasn’t too aware of it at the time.


The table top was my favorite part of this project. The crazy part about the whole part, I wasn’t even aware of several things that normally would have gone terrible wrong in a furniture build that luckily didn’t.

  1. Jointed edges: I didn’t understand that the edges were so crucial in a glue up. They need to a straight, flat and square to the face. I did nothing to edges before glue and there were no alignment or joint strength issues.
  2. Grain direction: At the time I only used power tools and had no idea about grain directions and how it would affect the finish. All but one board has the grain cupping up but the table has yet to cup. The grain direction goes back and forth on each board, which made the finishing brush stuck in tear out.
  3. Dust particles: When finishing the top with polyurethane I would sand between each coat but had no idea why. I didn’t sand enough and it left some rough patches underneath several poly layers. I would need to to take nearly all of the layers off to smooth it completely.

Overall the table is very serviceable, easy to clean and wasn’t a huge investment. It matched the design of the nook and pushed my woodworking to the limit with panel glue ups, mortise and tenon, and miter joints.

Thank you following along with the build. Stay tuned for more projects from the PlaneOleWoodShop. If you have any questions or advice for myself or other viewers please feel free to leave a comment below.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s